Thursday, February 6, 2020

Week Three: Out of Class

On Thursday evening I encoded my shape rhythm animation and uploaded it to Youtube.




I began thinking about how I wanted to design the next project on using the word "rhythm" to show a rhythm. Our professor suggested that we think of a song or rhythm and try to base our animation using that song. I have been listening to the artist Lizzo a lot recently so I chose the song "Cuz I Love You" from her Album Cuz I Love You. This song has a very interesting beginning with a vocal progression to a direct very intense beat that follows through the rest of the song. 



With keeping the wave-like intro in mind I started trying to create a wave with the type similar to the flow of her voice. 





With the movement starting and stopping on the baseline I felt that there wasn't enough flow so I worked on having the type move up off the baseline then down below to emphasize the wave motion. 


I wasn't sure how to layer in the beat at first. Of the examples, we looked at in class I enjoyed the one with the letters separated and appearing scattered to a beat on the screen.



I removed the original word used for the wave because I felt it was distracting being half visible and half covered. Unlike the example, rather than varying the placement of the individual letter I altered the duration of the overall layer. By the end of the night, I had this completed so far. 



_________________________________________________________________________________

On Friday evening I continued to work on my rhythm project. After some reflection and rewatching the video I felt that changing the duration of the overall layer wasn't coveying the rhythm as much as I was hoping. So I decided to break the letters apart and focus on creating a repeating pattern.

After listening to the song closely I had this pattern created:


I then finalized the copied the pattern I created to repeat 3 times for an overall duration of 15 seconds and posted it to YouTube.







No comments:

Post a Comment