Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Week Four: Outside of Class

Monday evening I completed the storyboard for the "Message in Motion" project.





Some things may need to be adjusted like the time and leading, but overall I feel confident in my general layout.

__________________________________________________________________

Wednesday night I continued working on my Message in Motion Animation. Sadly when I opened the document on my personal computer I realized I do not have Helvetica and I could not download it for free anywhere so I had to change the type to Arial. I chose to keep the typeface a simple sans serif because I want the composition to resemble typing and the "texting aesthetic". These messages were simple words back and forth between phones but they lead to how my life is now so I wanted to continue the simplicity of a text. 

My next step was to work on the "Yes I do." section so it appears as if it is being typed out. I struggled at first because the curser has a much lower baseline than the characters so it kept wanting to adjust to being the same as I typed. My solution was I made multiple layers of the phrase when a letter was not to be visible yet I would make that character white so it was unseen. 





After replaying what I had completed so far a few times I realized that the opacity of my text was not transitioning correctly. The type was fading after it had moved not in between the adjustments. I realized it was because I had not set the percentages of the transitions correctly so I adjusted the duration of the fade so they transition as they move.

At the end of the night, this is what I had completed so far. 



_____________________________________________________________________________ 

Thursday night I continued working on my animation. I continued repeating the pattern of text appearing then fading keeping the same percentages for the transitions adjusting the duration based on how much there is to be read. 




I adjusted one of the opacity transitions to change after the typing bar disappears so it reads as a sent message.

My next step was to work on the "typing dots" (periods). They are first going to appear in their more traditional speed and position and then get larger to emphasize the stress of the conversation. 

The approach is similar to the blinking cursor (which is just a narrowed lowercase L) layering the layers behind one another at different positions of the frame.






_________________________________________________________________________ 

Friday afternoon I went to lab and finished up my animation. I was close to completed, but I decided to make a small adjustment to the typing dots. To make them appear more authentic I kept a 25% opacity dot for the entire duration of the movement so the file din black dot appeared to be moving across the screen.





Below is my final video uploaded to Youtube.







No comments:

Post a Comment